The Deer Isle Lighthouse Trail
Passports :: Stamps :: Lights :: Stamp Locations

About the Lighthouse Trail

Pumpkin IslandThe island of Deer Isle is beautifully situated on the eastern side of Penobscot Bay. Surrounded by dozens of spruce clad islands with dramatic granite ledges, there are at least 8 lighthouses within 12 miles of our shores. The Deer Isle-Stonington Chamber of Commerce, working with the U.S. Lighthouse Society and Lighthousefriends, has created a new Lighthouse Trail providing lighthouse enthusiasts an exciting opportunity to view these 8 lighthouses year-round and have their Lighthouse Passports stamped. Three of the lights are visible from the shore of Deer Isle, the other 5 lights can be viewed and/or visited by sea and all 8 can be viewed by air! Deer Isle is now an official lighthouse destination year round.

Join us for Maine Open Lighthouse Day on September 15, 2014!

Why not begin your own lighthouse tour adventure on Deer Isle! In one visit you can view 8 unique lighthouses, acquire 8 official stamps and visit one of the most beautiful islands off the coast of Maine. Deer Isle is also a vibrant art community. Several Island artists have created new collections of paintings, cards and other items depicting the lighthouses on our trail and other nautical themes.

What are Lighthouse Passports?
U.S. Lighthouse Society PassportCreated by the U.S. Lighthouse Society, these blue passports resemble a U.S. Passport. Each time you visit or view a particpating lighthouse, you can receive an official “stamp” in your passport. The U. S. Lighthouse Society is a non-profit historical and educational organization incorporated to educate, inform, and entertain those who are interested in lighthouses, past and present. Their quarterly publication, The Keeper’s Log, is a great way to learn about Lighthouses in our country and beyond.
What are Lighthouse Stamps?
U.S. Lighthouse Society PassportThe U.S. Lighthouse Society produces engraved stamps (seals) for participating lighthouse “sponsors” to stamp visitor passports. Just as a U.S. passport is stamped when entering a foreign country, a Lighthouse Passport holder can have a lighthouse “stamp” for each lighthouse viewed. Each stamp is a unique design depicting the lighthouse, its date of construction and its location. There is a nominal $1 charge for each stamp with all proceeds from the Deer Isle Lighthouse Trail donated to Island Heritage Trust for the preservation of Mark Island Light.
Year-Round Lighthouse Passport Stamps
Three of the lighthouses can be viewed year-round from shore: Pumpkin Island Light, Eagle Island Light and Mark Island Light. Stamps are available year-round at Island Heritage Trust and the Inn on the Harbor. Isle au Haut Light can also be viewed year-round via the Isle au Haut Ferry Service and your passport can be stamped on board. Or you can view all 8 lights, year-round, by air with Penobscot Island Air and obtain stamps at the Inn on the Harbor, 7 days a week. Detailed information on stamp locations.
Seasonal Lighthouse Passport Stamps
All 8 lights can be seen and/or visited seasonally from May to October by boat and stamps are available on board: Eagle Island Light, Goose Rocks Light, Brown’s Head Light, Saddleback Ledge Light and Heron Neck Light. Guided Island Tours, Isle au Haut Ferry Service (aka the mail boat) and Old Quarry Ocean Adventures each offer different tour venues with stamping on board. Detailed information on stamp locations.

Lighthouses:

Pumpkin Island Light
Pumpkin Island Light
Built in 1854, now a private residence. Can be viewed from the shore of Little Deer Isle at the end of Eggemoggin Road, from the water with Guided Island Tours or by air with Penobscot Island Air.
Latitude 44.30924, Longitude -68.74282
Pumpkin Island Light history at Newenglandlighthouses.net
Pumpkin Island Light history at Lighthousefriends.com
Pumpkin Island Light Passport Stamp

Stamp Locations:

Guided Island Tours
Inn on the Harbor
Island Heritage Trust

Eagle Island Light
Eagle Island Light
Built in 1839, now owned by Eagle Light Caretakers. The grounds are open, the tower is closed. Can be viewed from shore at the end of Dunham Point Road, by boat with Guided Island Tours and by air with Penobscot Island Air.
Latitude 44.217647, Longitude -68.767773
Eagle Island Light history at Newenglandlighthouses.net
Eagle Island Light history at Lighthousefriends.com
Eagle Island Light Passport Stamp

Stamp Locations:

Guided Island Tours
Inn on the Harbor
Island Heritage Trust

Mark Island Light
Mark  Island Light
Built in 1857, now owned by Island Heritage Trust. The grounds are open, (Deer Isle Thorofare) the tower is closed. Can be viewed from the southern shore of Stonington on Sand Beach Road, by boat with Guided Island Tours, Isle au Haut Ferry Service, Old Quarry Ocean Adventures or by air with Penobscot Island Air.
Latitude 44.13433, Longitude -68.7035
Mark Island Light history at Newenglandlighthouses.net
Mark Island Light history at Lighthousefriends.com
Mark Island Light Passport Stamp

Stamp Locations:

Guided Island Tours
Inn on the Harbor
Island Heritage Trust
Isle au Haut Ferry Service
Old Quarry Ocean Adventures

Isle au Haut Light
Isle au Haut Light
Built in 1907, now owned by the Town of Isle au Haut. Grounds are open, tower is closed. Can be viewed by boat with Guided Island Tours, Isle au Haut Ferry Service, Old Quarry Ocean Adventures and by air with Penobscot Island Air.
Latitude 44.064743, Longitude -68.651376
Isle au Haut Light history at Newenglandlighthouses.net
Isle au Haut Light history at Lighthousefriends.com
Isle au Haut  Light Passport Stamp

Stamp Locations:

Guided Island Tours
Inn on the Harbor
Isle au Haut Ferry Service
Old Quarry Ocean Adventures

Goose Rocks Light
Goose Rocks Light
Built in 1890, now owned by Beacon Preservation. Tours and overnight stays are available through Beacon Preservation. Can be viewed by boat with Guided Island Tours, Isle au Haut Ferry Service, Old Quarry Ocean Adventures and by air with Penobscot Island Air.
Latitude 44.13546, Longitude -68.83059
Goose Rocks Light history at Newenglandlighthouses.net
Goose Rocks Light history at Lighthousefriends.com
Goose Rocks  Light Passport Stamp

Stamp Locations:

Guided Island Tours
Inn on the Harbor
Isle au Haut Ferry Service
Old Quarry Ocean Adventures

Brown’s Head Light
Brown's Head Light
Built in 1857, now owned by the Town of Vinalhaven. The tower is closed, the Town Manager lives in the dwelling. Can be viewed by boat with Guided Island Tours, Isle au Haut Ferry Service, Old Quarry Adventures and by air with Penobscot Island Air.
Latitude 44.111764, Longitude -68.909496
Brown’s Head Light history at Newenglandlighthouses.net
Brown’s Head Light history at Lighthousefriends.com
Brown's Head Light Passport Stamp

Stamp Locations:

Guided Island Tours
Inn on the Harbor
Isle au Haut Ferry Service
Old Quarry Ocean Adventures

Saddleback Ledge Light
Saddleback Ledge Light
Built in 1839, now owned by the U.S. Coast Guard. The grounds and tower are closed. Can be viewed by boat with Isle au Haut Ferry Service, Old Quarry Ocean Adventures and by air with Penobscot Island Air.
Latitude 44.01434, Longitude -68.72645
Saddleback Ledge Light history at Newenglandlighthouses.net
Saddleback Ledge Light history at Lighthousefriends.com
Saddleback Ledge  Light Passport Stamp

Stamp Locations:

Inn on the Harbor
Isle au Haut Ferry Service
Old Quarry Ocean Adventures

Heron Neck Light
Heron Neck  Light
Built in 1854, still active in navigation. Presently leased by The Island Institute. The grounds are open, the tower is closed. Can be viewed by boat with Isle au Haut Ferry Service, Old Quarry Ocean Adventures and by air with Penobscot Island Air.
Latitude 44.02526, Longitude -68.86188
Heron Neck Light history at Newenglandlighthouses.net
Heron Neck Light history at Lighthousefriends.com
Heron Neck Light Passport Stamp

Stamp Locations:

Inn on the Harbor
Isle au Haut Ferry Service
Old Quarry Ocean Adventures

Stamp Locations Details:
Guided Island Tours. 207-348-6789
Seasonal private boat tours May-October. Stamping on board, passports for sale.
Email: walt@guidedislandtours.com Website: www.guidedislandtours.com
Inn on the Harbor. 1-800-942-2420
Stamps available year-round 7 days a week, passports for sale. Verification of sighting requested for stamping.
Email: info@innontheharbor.com Website: www.innontheharbor.com
Island Heritage Trust. 207-348-2455
Stamps available year-round 5 days a week, passports for sale.
Email: iht@islandheritagetrust.org Website: www.islandheritagetrust.org
Isle au Haut Ferry Service. 207-367-5193
Stamps available on board year-round 6 days a week for Isle au Haut Light. Seasonal boat tours for other lights listed above, passports for sale.
Email: themailboat@isleauhaut.com Website: www.isleauhaut.com
Old Quarry Ocean Adventures. 207-367-8977
Seasonal boat tours May-October. Stamping on board, passports for sale.
Email: info@oldquarry.com Website: www.oldquarry.com