The Deer Isle-Stonington Chamber of Commerce is one of the Island’s most vital organizations. Directed and run by volunteers, our Chamber strives to promote and enhance the community’s diverse businesses through a variety of means including publication of the annual Island Guide. Over 15,000 copies of the Guide are distributed throughout the State of Maine at State Visitor Centers, via mail, at our Welcome Center and our members businesses.
The Chamber sponsors an annual spring birding Festival: “Wings, Wave & Woods, a weekend of birding by land, by sea and by art”; Lupine Festival; 4th of July parade and fireworks; and other events.
The Chamber also serves as a clearing house for information on all aspects of Island life, state and national Chamber programs, tourism and opportunities for business growth such as the BuyLocal – HireLocal campaigns.
Your business or organization is welcome to join the Chamber any time of year to be listed on the Chamber website and receive the benefits of membership. To qualify for membership your business must be located on the Island and can be either year round or seasonal.
Benefits of membership include:
- Island Guide (Join by Nov. 1, 2016 to be in the print 2017 Island Guide publication):
- 2 free category listings
- Inexpensive advertising opportunities
- Chamber Website (Join at any time for website listings):
- Free listing in 2 categories
- Free link to your website
- Free email link
- Free mapping on interactive Google map with your logo
- Welcome Center:
- Free placement of advertising/promotional materials
- Inexpensive display at the Kiosk
- Inexpensive product display in glass display case
- Downtown Stonington Kiosk at Island Approaches
- Inexpensive brochure display in the Kiosk
- Free listing, where applicable, in our Festival pamphlets
- Reduced health insurance cost through Chamber BlueOptions Program
- Our area and your business is further promoted and marketed through the Chamber’s memberships with Maine Tourism Association and Downeast & Acadia Regional Tourism (DART) and through cooperative agreements with other Chambers of Commerce
Associate Memberships were created in 1997 for people who may or may not have an existing business on the Island but wish to support the Chamber. Associate members are either year round or summer residents. Annual tax deductible dues are $25.00. We are deeply grateful to our Associate Members, both for their financial contribution and to their volunteer efforts. Many Associates are summer residents and serve as greeters at our Welcome Center which welcomes over 4000 visitors from May through October. Associate members are invited to join the Board in the planning and production of our Festivals and events and are always welcome at the Chamber’s monthly board meetings. We welcome you to join!
Associate Chamber Members
Alan and Curtis Flowers
Alden and Jeannine Leavenworth
Deer Isle Granite Museum
James E. Bray
Lewis C. Ellis
Lynn Heichel Kneedler
Marnie and Ken Crowell
Our Mission: To promote the interests and vitality of the Deer Isle-Stonington business community in a manner that respects the island’s traditional ways of life and encourages new, sustainable opportunities that will support a flourishing island economy.
What We Do: To accomplish the goals of our mission our focus is:
- To promote both year-round and seasonal member businesses by creating, publishing and disseminating the Island Guide and the Island Map as well as managing the chamber’s website.
- To greet visitors arriving on our island with an attractive and useful Welcome Center.
- To coordinate and sponsor island special events that promote the community image and at the same time be fun for its citizens and guests.
- To serve as a networking forum for its members where they can exchange ideas and develop mutually beneficial relationships.
- To work with state and local governments as well as regional and local organizations to provide educational opportunities to member businesses and advance our shared interest in a sustainable island economy.
Chamber Board of Directors
Henry Borntraeger IV, President
Annie Taylor Gray, Executive Director
The Board of Directors typically meets on the 3rd Monday of the month. The location of our meetings varies between venues in Stonington and in Deer Isle. If you would like to attend a meeting, please email us and we will inform you as to the location and time. We welcome Chamber Members, Associate Members, Island residents and visitors to our meetings.